Baby, check this out, I've got something to say. Man, it's so loud in here. When they stop the drum machine and I can think again, I'll remember what it was...
- They Might Be Giants (
John Flansburgh and John Linnell)

Monday, February 15, 2010

Lookin Like a Fool

So, here we are in Las Cruces, NM.We've met some people on the internet and they offer to drive us out to the desert. OK....some of you this this is a terrible mistake, but you've been reading too many Tony Hillerman books.

So we drive out towards the Organ Mountains, those big red rocks in the distance. Todd, our realtor, has told us that they actually look purple wehn the sun hits them right, but we haven't seen that yet. We go out past Baylor Canyon to a place called Dripping Springs (I'll have to look that up)and our new friend Clair tells us a story about a guy found in a nearby cave with a knife in his back. We're just innocently enjoying the ride.

So, we stop, catch the last dribs (is that a word?) of the sun going down, dreaming of all the sunsets in our future, and smelling the desert air. I noticed as I turned my body the scent changed. Bill told us we were smelling pinon, mesquite, or possibly creosote. So, so, so much to learn......

So, after the sunset show, nature provided another show--Clair explained that the white couldish stuff in the distance was actually rain that doesn't reach the ground because of the dry air. In-freakin-credible.
The next show was the lights coming on in the city of LasCruces, sparkling in the distance for our pleasure.

You might think this was enough, however there was one more show of the evening, when my adorable husband's pants fell to the ground, possibly due to a belt malfunction or the steady weight he's been losing lately.
And these people still want to be our friends! In fact, Bill cooked us some awesome enchiladas at their cosy Adobe in Dona Ana.....Sing with me now, "Pants on the Ground, Pants on the Ground, Lookin Like a Fool wit your Pants on the Ground.

3 comments:

  1. I was so taken by sight of the red post-sunset clouds that I almost missed the pants incident. People from Massachusetts are so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for Pat! Isn't it kind of worth displaying one's underwear for such a good reason?

    And yeah, what I remember of sunsets in NM is that they were ALL simply smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny. I was just singing that song to myself this morning as I was wading through the knee deep snow. Dunno why...

    ReplyDelete